Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I'm Scared to Move Away!!!!

I'll be the first one to admit that I was nervous about moving across the country to a place I had visited one weekend two years before. I didn't know anyone there, I had an itinerant position, and honestly, it was SIN CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was terrified. So here is what I learned:

1. If you do not have anything tying you to your current home ie.: family issues, spouse, significant other, children; you have nothing to lose. This is an opportunity, and even if you only stay a year, it's a year on your resume. Make the most of it.

2. Move to a big city if you can. More opportunities to make friends, professional networking, and things around town to keep you busy.

3. Check out www.roommates.com and see if there are any cool people you could share rent with. When I moved to Las Vegas I lived in a house with three roommates. While I am not living with them anymore, at the time it helped to have people to talk to on a social basis. When they got on my nerves I branched out and began making friends with some of my coworkers who are now my closest friends. They also help in terms of sharing furniture and rent, so if you're not sure you want to make this move permanent they can buffer in that aspect.

4. Tell everyone you know you are moving to such and such city. They may have friends, relatives, and other contacts that can help you. They may know of cool places to check out.

5. Go online and search for places that would interest you. Landmarks, museums, galleries, shops, sports teams, gyms, classes, and write them down. Once you do move start doing these things. Your social calendar will not be full, even though your professional one will be. To balance the workload and stress check out a class every week, go to the gym, see a play, whatever just do it!

6. Be outgoing and friendly with your coworkers. Introduce yourself and tell them where you're from. I did this with everyone I met. Eat in the lunch room with the other teachers. Ask them questions, like "What's the best shop for me to get new brakes on my car?" or "What gym do you go to?" You will begin a social dialogue with your colleagues.

Making this move was the best decision of my life. I have great friends, my own place, and a job I adore!

No comments: